What are HTML tags?
HTML tags are the keywords in an HTML document that are not displayed on the browser window but define how contents are formatted and displayed on the browser window. An HTML tag usually has an opening and a closing tag. Eg: <head> is an HTML tag with <head> as its opening tag and </head> is the closing tag.
Points to Ponder:
- It must be noted that the HTML tags or keywords, as some refer them to; are included inside the angular brackets.
- For writing the HTML script, you can use any of the text editors of your choice as the working or the use of HTML tags would not differ from one text editor to another.
- An HTML document must start with a <html> opening tag and must end with a </html> closing tag.
- The title of the web page is included inside the <title> tag which is again inside the <head> tag of the document. The title of the web page is the name that appears on the browser window.
- The content to be displayed on the web browser is included between the <body> and </body> tags.
- The formatting and styling of content to be displayed on the web browser is done using other tags available in the HTML language. We will discuss more about this topic in the upcoming blog posts.
The developers of HTML have updated the language time and again to ensure that web designers find it easy and efficient to design their own web pages using HTML. The most recent update of HTML is called HTML5 and it came into existence just a year and a half ago. One of the prominent updates that HTML5 has got is the ease in format of the doctype declaration. Now only a “<!DOCTYPE html>” as declaration is sufficient as compared to the lengthy “<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC “-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN” “http://www.xyz.com/TR/html4/loose.dtd”>” in the previous versions of the language.
<!DOCTYPE html> <html> <head> <title> My First WebPage </title> </head> <body> Hello World.!! </body> </html>
In the above example, the <html> tag begins the HTML document. The title of the page is “My First WebPage” and it is included inside the “<title>” tag of the document. The content typed inside the “<body>” tag is displayed on the web browser window.
- The most recent HTML tag must be closed first before the other tags in the document. Eg: The “<title>”tag is closed before the “<head>” tag as it is the most recent HTML tag opened.
- The HTML language does not include blank spaces in the display on the browser window, therefore, despite HTML will ignore all the blank spaces you give in your document.
- There is a separate tag for giving line breaks and blank space on the browser window. We will discuss about those tags in the future blog posts.
Download the source code here: http://bit.ly/1II22HE
GET YOUR FREE HTML EBOOK!